We’re ready for travel.
Plane tickets are purchased. Hotels are booked. Next up, Disney tickets and…(cue the horror music) WHAT CAMERA TO BRING!?
It’s a tech fiend’s nightmare. Well, it’s my nightmare at least.
I recently purchased two cameras, the Sony a6500 with 30mm and 16mm Sigma lenses and the Fuji XT-3, slapped on the 18-55mm lens I already had on hand.
To be honest, I’ve been watching videos and looking at reviews for way too long on this. I just need to make up my mind already.
I thought I’d test these two out for a few weeks to see which one I’d keep and make my go-to camera for documenting the family and bringing to our big Japan Christmas trip.
Each one has it’s Pros and Cons:
- Less buttons to mess with
- Seems easier to learn
- Good photo and video quality
- Great grip
- 4k video is good, but most I see on Youtube seem very faded or washed out. This can be adjusted in settings.
- Photos not as sharp as Fuji.
- Takes more time to post-process photos and videos
- Dated EVF (I get it, the camera is 2 years old already)
- Compact, but less so than a6500
- More control over settings
- Awesome image quality, very little post editing needed
- Awesome video quality, again, very little post editing needed with picture profiles
- feels extremely well built
- Huge EVF
- No IBIS
- Setting it to highest 4k video footage was very taxing on my 2016 Macbook Pro, AKA, took long to edit.
- Camera doesn’t feel great in my hands.
- On my latest shoot, I was getting a lot of blurry photos with the 18-55mm lens. Might change with a prime.
I recently took the Fuji X-T3 to Target simply to test out how the camera might handle in a situation similar to the Japan Trip coming up. Here’s what I came up with:
Here are some unedited photos taken with each camera:
Fuji X-T3 w/18-55mm lens:
Sony A6500 w/30mm 1.4 Sigma:
And again, for comparison purposes, my iPhone 8 Plus with wide angle lens:
Is it unfair to compare a 30mm prime with an 18-55mm zoom? Yeah, it is. But the reality of it is, these are the lenses I’m thinking of bringing with me on the trip. I don’t have the Sony kit lens, which is garbage anyway, so a 16-70mm on the Sony may do the trick.
What camera would you take on your trip overseas?